Friday, November 25, 2005

Live Commentary from Old Trafford. MUFC vs. Benfica FC

It is now 6.00pm at Old Trafford. The weather looks fine and windy with temperature at 14 degrees. As you can see now the crowd has start to come in with fans surrounding the “make shift store” at the main entrance of the stadium while getting their souvenirs.

As we walk around checking the goods and their prices, we notice they are not genuine but it has a great variety of MUFC merchandise selling “cheaply”. After about half an hour touring the makeshift stalls we start to realize that a scarf that was design specially for today’s match has disappear from some of the stall display. With a quick check with the owner we realize the 6 pound scarf has sold out like hot cakes. We remembered seeing a remote stall located at the entrance to the north stand and quickly make our way there to check if there is anymore stock left. With lady luck shining on us, we manage to get hold of the last few scarves.


With the time getting late, we recall that the sales office has earlier advice us to enter the stadium half an hour before kick off. So we start to make our way in. Before entering, I quickly get a poorly make cheese burger with mustard at 3 pounds because I have not had dinner. At the entrance, we were force to open our bags to be check by the stewards for any dangerous objects. I was shock when I was told to remove my bottle cap from my bottle because they claim that it is dangerous. I was wondering why a small plastic cap will look dangerous and I was told that fans will use to throw all these stuff to the pitch and in the course hurting players. But I insist that without it the water in the bottle will spill and reluctantly they eventually let me in. Ironically, I saw their kiosk selling bottle dinks with the caps. Sigh maybe is due to miss communication.










When I finally entered the seating stands, I was greeted by players from both MUFC and Benfica warming up on the pitch. Now this is something you will not see on live TV coverage. But now with me reporting live every will get to see this images. You know where to find them if you have been reading my previous blogs. As the time approach the kick off timing which was schedule at 7.45pm, the players when into back into the changing room to change. At the same time the familiar UEFA representative start to come in and form up around the Champions League banner located at the middle of the pitch.

When the players eventually emerge from the dug out, the fans roar and chanted “United” “United” again and again until the players form up for the UEFA anthem. The match starts to get underway after with the usual formalities between the teams. As for the review of the match, I think you can get a more comprehensive or exciting version from soccernet.com. But just to let you know the crowd was constantly cheering for their team through out the match and of course the constant swearing is also included in the package. I think all the united players got fuck by the supporters behind me for not scoring till the 40min. Oh yah occasionally the reffree and the lines men is also being screwed for not opening their eyes. Just like in Singapore.
One of the best moments is when I mange to capture the last goal by Ruud van Nistelrooy's with Ryan Giggs taking the corner. I just have this feeling that they are going to score and quickly took out the camera They are the last few shots from my gallery. However due to the all the poor elements of photography the out come of the image is very blur. The last shot of the corner actually show Ruud van Nistelrooy's jumping up heading the ball. But the you cannot see the ball because it has GONE IN.

















Any way it was a fantastic experience that I will never forget. It is true what other said that watching live matching is really different from live telecast. The experience is beyond words for description. Only when you are here to watch it LIVE then will you understand. Oh one last thing, be prepare to spend lots of money cause the ticket for this match cost me 37 pounds and I think it is worth every pence with such a great game.
Signing off for nowEdmund

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home